Welcome to the Home Delivered Meals Program. You will soon be helping to provide hot nutritious meals to those who cannot prepare or otherwise obtain them because of disability, age or illness. The meals are standard for all recipients, unless chopped or pureed.
Volunteers use their own vehicles to deliver hot meals to homebound individuals from an average time 10:30am to 12:30pm on an assigned delivery route. You may work a scheduled day or on a substitute basis.
1. BE DEPENDABLE AND PUNCTUAL FOR YOUR SCHEDULED DELIVERY DAY
- If you cannot deliver, please call your Route Chairman or the CMOW office at 704-932-3412. You may leave a message if staff is not available or it is after business hours.
- If possible give the staff a 2 hour notice.
2. ARRIVE AT CABARRUS MEALS ON WHEELS SITE BY 10:30 A.M.
- Sign in; pick up the route sheets, tray, and coolers.
- Frozen Meals (WAAM) - If a client on your route receives Frozen Meals
- It will say 2 Frozen Meals beside the client’s name.
- It will have a label with the client’s name.
- Always review route sheets for changes.
- If there is not (1-Lunch 1hot & 1 Cold tray) beside the clients name - They are not eating.
3. DELIVER PROCEDURES
- Knock, identify yourself, and follow instructions in the route book for each client.
- Deliver a Hot and Cold tray and Milk according to directions.
- If there is juice in the cold cooler - Every client receives both Milk and Juice on those days.
- Chopped Meals - hot tray and cold tray will be marked chopped.
- Pureed Meals - hot tray and cold tray will be marked pureed.
- Test Meals - You may have a test Meal in your cooler - Bring back to the office.
- The kitchen has to test meals to make sure they stay hot throughout the route.
- Check those clients that you served a hot meal to in "Delivered" square. If there was a client that wasn’t home check the "Not Delivered" square and give out their meal to another client on your route.
4. REPORT UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES TO CMOW AT 704-932-3412
- If client does not come to door. Call the clients number beside their name. Remember many clients are hard of hearing and often slow getting to the door. If you do not get an answer by phone immediately call the CMOW office and we will notify the family.
- If there is a cooler you can leave the meal - only if there is an ice pack in the cooler.
- Place yellow door hanger on door knob (located in the plastic sheet with the directions that get you back to office).
- Give extra meal to another client.
5. EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
- If a client has fallen or is injured, do not attempt to lift the client.
- Call CMOW at 704-932-3412, we will call 911.
- Wait for help to arrive then continue with the deliveries.
- Client appears to be confused, disoriented or abusive. Notify CMOW office immediately.
6. RETURN EMPTY COOLERS
- If you bring your own coolers, you will need to have ice packs and heating pads for coolers.
- If you return back to office, make sure that all ice packs and heating pads are in the coolers and sheets & trays are put back on the table.